With Christmas fast approaching and the joy of going out and seeing friends well and truly on the horizon, we’ve got the perfect guide to positive partying so you can really be present for the moments that matter this festive season.
1. Moderate Alcohol Intake: Limit your alcohol consumption and alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks (did someone say WILD IDOL?!). This will keep you hydrated and help to avoid a hangover the next day.
2. Stay Hydrated: Alcohol can be really dehydrating so in between your festive drinks, make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the evening to minimize the negative effects of alcohol. Drink a pint of an electrolyte-rich beverage like coconut water before you go to sleep.
3. Nourish Your Body: We’ve all been there, and it might be stating the obvious, but don't party on an empty stomach! Having a nutritionally balanced meal like salmon with quinoa, or prawns and brown rich before a party, both of which are rich in vitamins B3 and zinc which can slow down the absorption of alcohol (and reduce the risk of overindulgence!).
4. Mindful Socializing: The joy of connecting with the people you love and engaging in meaningful conversations can be just as fulfilling without excessive drinking. So focus on being present in the moment and appreciating the company of those around you, with no hangxiety the next day.
5. Plan Your Exit: Decide on a reasonable time to leave the party. Avoid the temptation to stay until the very end to ensure you get enough sleep and wake up refreshed. If you are out late, plan for a relaxing morning after the party to help your body recover.
6. Hangover Remedies: If you do find yourself with a hangover, opt for rehydration solutions like sports drinks and consume easy-to-digest foods like toast or crackers. Rest, fresh air, and gentle exercise like a short walk can also help in recovery.
7. Set Limits: Setting limits on the number of events you want to attend will help you manage your energy and prevent burnout. It’s also ok to say no and decline invitations if you’re feeling overwhelmed; prioritise the events that are most important to you.
Remember, the festive season is about enjoyment and creating memorable experiences. By following these tips, you can fully embrace the festive season while also prioritizing your well-being.